In a modern world, it becomes easy to miss the blessings in the everyday. With all there is to do amid the weight of responsibility, we become lost, trapped in a cycle of obligation and distraction.
Realizing how fortunate we are. Recognizing the beauty that surrounds us. Finding joy in the simplest of things. Noticing what people do – not in service or duty but from kindness. These are often overlooked or forgotten in the mix of a busy day.
How do you react to what is around you? What is your message?
I encourage you to pay attention. To the blessings. To the world. To your life. To the stranger who holds the door, the co-worker who makes you smile, the friend who never fails, the family member who always listens. There are little signs everywhere and in everything, reminders of all that is good – in others, in ourselves.
This holiday season, begin a journey toward gratitude.
- perform an act of kindness
- tell someone they are loved
- offer forgiveness without condition
- thank anyone who comes to your aid
- show compassion for those in need
- lift another up without expectation
- acknowledge your own worth
- receive apology without judgement
- look for lessons in the everyday
- create joy in everything you do
- accept what has been
- embrace what might be
Begin with a foundation of basic appreciation, allow the smallest of blessings to build upon each other, nurture and watch them grow into something beautiful. Go forward with a grateful heart.
Photo by Alfred Schrock on Unsplash